TOGAF Essentials 2018
The TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential teaches nothing useful. It is entirely about trivial changes inside the TOGAF 9.2 documentation.
TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential provides validation that individuals have up-to-date understanding of the changes in 9.2.
Gaining the TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential requires completion of a short 3-hour course and passing an online exam.
The credential is only awarded after you complete both the mandatory three-hour training and pass a 20 question multiple-choice open book exam.
The TOGAF standard, version 9.2 starts restructuring the standard to include a Body of Knowledge. The Body of Knowledge makes the standard more actionable without expert help.
Who should take TOGAF Essentials 2018
If you are not a TOGAF Trainer who needs to show currency, you will get nothing useful from TOGAF Essentials 2018. We do not recommend taking the credential. This credential teaches nothing useful.
The TOGAF Essentials 2018 Credential is long on noise and distraction. It is short on anything useful. The bulk of the credential covers trivial changes inside the TOGAF 9.2 documentation. For example, there is more time spent on the publication change of the III-RM model than the Practitioners' Guide.
All TOGAF Essentials 2018 courses are identical. The Open Group mandates the material.
You can get a list of TOGAF Essentials training providers at the Open Group
TOGAF training will either teach you how to use TOGAF to deliver enterprise architecture or teach you TOGAF. TOGAF Essentials 2018 teaches you what changed between TOGAF 9.1 & TOGAF 9.2.
What to expect in TOGAF Essentials 2018 Training
This credential teaches nothing useful. It is entirely about trivial changes inside the TOGAF 9.2 documentation.
- Structure of the TOGAF 9.2 Standard
- Business Architecture
- Specific additions to TOGAF's example content meta-model
- Minor step change to TOGAF Phase A
- Reminder that best-practice Phase A includes developing Business Architecture as part of the Architecture Vision
- Capability, Organizational Map & Value stream as model kinds
- Many definitions
- ISO/IEE 42010:2011 Standard
- Alignment of concepts between TOGAF 9.2 & ISO/IEEE 42010
- Many definitions
- TOGAF Content Framework and Content Meta-model
- Clean-up work to ensure consistency between different diagrams & tables
- Clean-up of IT Architecture components & relationships
- Addition of a few business architecture components
- Bizarre separation of Capability into Capability and Business Capability
- Security Architecture
- Adoption of ISO 31000: 2009: Risk Management definition of Risk
- Identification of Security as a cross-cutting concern
- Movement of all security from the core document to the TOGAF Series Guide Integrating Risk and Security within a TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture
- This change is the furthest along of the TOGAF strategic migration. The Security Guide uses TOGAF's essential scaffolding.
- Other Significant Changes
- Minor update to architecture tools in Preliminary Phase
- Correction to objectives of Phases B, C and D
TOGAF 9.1 mistakenly referred to the Request for Architecture Work, not the Statement of Architecture Work
- Layout of ADM Phase Chapters to minimize duplication in Phase C, Phase C - Data & Phase C - Application
TOGAF Essentials 2018 Credential Process
When you complete the training, your training firm will send your contact details & TOGAF Certification number to The Open Group. The Open Group will send you an invitation for the online assessment.
The assessment process has two steps:
- You must pass the sample exam with a score of 75% or greater. You have unlimited retakes for the sample.
- After you pass the sample, you receive an invitation to the open book exam. It follows the same set-up and again a minimum score of 75%
Following a successful exam, they will invite you to claim your TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential as an Acclaim Badge.
Expect about a week for this process.
Join the Personal Enterprise Architecture Kickstart
Free 12-week program to be a better enterprise architect