TOGAF® Essentials 2018 Credential
The Open Group's TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential shows you understand the changes in the TOGAF Standard between version 9.1 and version 9.2. It is focused on detailed changes inside the standard. Conexiam does not offer training for this Open Group credential.
TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential provides validation that individuals have up-to-date understanding of the changes in 9.2.
Gaining the TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential requires completion of a short 3-hour course and passing an online exam.
The Open Group awards the credential after you complete both the mandatory three-hour training and pass a 20 question multiple-choice open book exam.
Who should take the TOGAF Essentials 2018 Credential?
The TOGAF Essentials Credential is mandatory for all TOGAF accredited trainers certified in the TOGAF Standard version 9.1. As well, people who work closely with the TOGAF standard can benefit from its exhaustive review of definitions and meta-model changes.
For most enterprise architects, we do not recommend the TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential. We recommend that enterprise architecture practitioners spend their professional development time learning how to do architecture.
The TOGAF Essentials 2018 Credential is provides a comprehensive understanding of changes inside the TOGAF 9.2 documentation. For example, the training spends more time explaining the movement of the III-RM model from inside the core document to a TOGAF Series Guide than the guidance offered on doing enterprise Architecture in the Practitioners’ Approach to Developing Enterprise Architecture Following the TOGAF® ADM.
If you are interested in earning this credential, you can get The Open Group's list of TOGAF Essentials 2018 accredited training providers.
You can expect all TOGAF Essentials 2018 courses to be very similar. The Open Group provides the course material used in all instruction.
What to expect in TOGAF Essentials 2018 Training
The credential shows you understand the detailed changes between TOGAF 9.1 and TOGAF 9.2. The course outline is:
- Structure of the TOGAF 9.2 Standard
- Evolution from monolithic TOGAF 9.1
- TOGAF Body of Knowledge
- TOGAF Library
Core guidance documents, referred to as TOGAF Series Guides, that are included in the TOGAF 9.2 Standard.
- The TOGAF® Leader’s Guide to Establishing and Evolving an EA Capability
- Practitioners’ Approach to Developing Enterprise Architecture Following the TOGAF® ADM
- Integrating Risk and Security within a TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture Guide
- Using the TOGAF® Framework to Define and Govern Service-Oriented Architectures Practical Guide
- Business Architecture
- Specific business architecture additions to the example TOGAF Content Meta-model
- Minor step change to TOGAF Phase A
- Reminder that best-practice Phase A includes developing Business Architecture as part of the Architecture Vision
- Capability, Organizational Map & Value stream as model kinds
- Many definitions
- ISO/IEE 42010:2011 Standard
- Alignment of concepts between TOGAF 9.2 & ISO/IEEE 42010
- Many definitions
- TOGAF Content Framework and Content Meta-model
- Clean-up work to ensure consistency between different diagrams & tables
- Clean-up of IT Architecture components & relationships
- Addition of a few business architecture components
- Separation of Capability into Capability and Business Capability
- Security Architecture
- Adoption of ISO 31000: 2009: Risk Management definition of risk
- Identification of Security as a cross-cutting concern
- Movement of all security information to a TOGAF Series Guide, Integrating Risk and Security within a TOGAF® Enterprise Architecture
- Other Significant Changes
- Minor update to architecture tools in Preliminary Phase
- Correction to objectives of Phases B, C and D
- Change in the layout of ADM Phase Chapters to minimize duplication in Phase C, Phase C - Data & Phase C - Application
TOGAF Essentials 2018 Credential Process
When you complete the training provider by an accredited training provider, your training provider will send your contact details & TOGAF Certification number to The Open Group. The Open Group will send you an invitation for the online assessment.
The assessment process has two steps:
- You must pass the sample exam with a score of 75% or greater. You have unlimited retakes for the sample.
- After you pass the sample, you receive an invitation to the open book exam. It follows the same set-up and again a minimum score of 75%
Following a successful exam, The Open Group will send an invitation for you to claim your TOGAF Essentials 2018 credential as an Acclaim Badge.
Our experience shows this process will take about a week.
Join the Enterprise Architecture Kickstart
Free 12-week program to be a better enterprise architect